PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 1st Nov 2008, 11:50
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off I think this is one of the better overall jobs in aviation. I also believe living in Dubai might prove less harmful than most other places in these economic times.
Job security has to be a big concern for most people and that is something that is a bonus at EK.

But there are some ominous clouds on the horizon at EK. The continual erosion of our T&C's is a concern.
-more work for less credit
-ridiculous crew rest policies and facilities on board
-accomodation issues which are particularly hard on new-joiners
-time to upgrade will increase (although its still pretty good by comparision to most other airlines)
-a complete lack of respect from management

I have noticed a change in attitude from management types recently. They have always somewhat despised our profession but now it has become pervasive. My neighbour is a 'Pro'-pilot management dude and even he is starting to express the point of view that pilots have it too good.

It is an attitude. Things such as no extra carry-on bags, no jumpseats, no more F class rest, less and less tolerance for individual needs of pilots (accomodation for example), a COC that was purposely designed to limit interaction amongst our colleagues etc. all give a clear indication that there is a concerted effort to reduce our quality of life. I do not understand this attitude because inevitably it reduces moral and costs money.

Once again, it is still a good job at EK but I have a suspicion that management will continue to chip away at things. It is sad really, because most negative changes to our job have cost the company in the long run and most potential positive changes would not cost anything to institute.