PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Alitalia (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2008, 04:47
philipat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summary of Situation

It would be great if newcomers could at least take the trouble to read the complete thread.

To summarise:
  1. AZ doesn't deserve to be still flying, it is a hopeless, over-staffed, inefficient basket case which is still around only because of repeated Government (Aka the Taxpayer) subsidies which are also illegal under EU law. It should fold and get out of the way so that the industry can get on with re-structuring to achieve a sustainable (Profitable) business model. And, to (mis) quote a post above, if this includes low cost carriers with crews cleaning cabins and turning aircraft around in 27 minutes, then that is part of the new reality, which many folks don't seem to grasp.
  2. Uncle Sylvio and the boys saw another opportunity to make some money and further appease the Unions by sticking all the retrenchment costs onto the Government (Aka the taxpayer) together with all the accumulated losses and other costs, whilst purchasing the valuable assets (Newer aircraft, LHR landing slots etc.) for a song. Nice work if you can get it. All this dressed up in smoke and mirrors, red white and green. Isn't Nationalism a wonderful thing? How stupid taxpayers can be in third world countries?
  3. Unfortunately, Ryanair complained to the EU which is now suggesting that CAI (CIA would be nicer) might be forced to pick up AT LEAST the last 300 Million Euro rescue subsidy by the Italian Government (Aka the taxpayer). This also raised the possibility of liability for the final Euro 2 Billion Government (Aka the taxpayer) subsidy in connection with charging the losses and retrenchment costs to the Government (Aka the taxpayer). CAI exit, stage left, because, with these potential liabilities, there are no no easy/corrupt profits and "Flipping" a minority share to LH/AF-KL to get back most of the "Investment" would be impossible.
  4. People bitch and moan about Ryanair, which is rapidly expanding into the vacuum in the domestic Italian market. SO why is it that FR flies more passengers than any other carrier within the EU? People don't like it because they wish that they could have better service, but the bottom line is that they are not prepared to pay for more than just a bus ride. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for and this is the reality of air travel in 2008. I'm not saying I favour FR because, as I live in Asia, most of my flights are longhaul and I fly SQ/CX/TG First/Suite Class. But that's because I can afford it and am prepared to pay for it. Repeat, you get what you pay for. There IS room in the market for Premium carriers that get it right.
  5. Bottom line, the industry is changing and polarising. Nobody can stop this inevitable trend. SO, as they say, "Lead, follow or get out of the way"