PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Facebook - Virgin Crew
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2008, 19:53
greuzi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do not know the details but see both sides.

Stock markets can rise and fall on mere rumours, so staff opinions can also have a real and direct impact to business. We all have a choice who we work for and I personally believe we are paid not just to do the hours we are paid for, but represent the interests of that company (at the times we choose to be associated with it). Our home time is nothing to do with the company we work for and not any of their business, but when you post messages and declare yourself an employee there is a difference. Others might disagree?

On the other side I love the posts telling us what we all imagine about Celebrity X 'Flew with us the other day and is an absolute star, whilst Y is the biggest assh+le I've ever met'.

With regard to pprune I think most are sensible and professional. Many points of safety are debated here. ALL of the most interesting, contentious and serious issues are debated here. I would not want to be without pprune.

Now a precedent has been set however. I don't want any of the debates on pprune to be responsible for anybody losing their job. Peoples personal opinions should be respected. I guess with much of the content we have already posted, some lawyers could have a field day if they so chose.

Am sure we are protected by cyberspace in some way (?) but the facebook incident has set a precedent. Can there be a disclaimer on entry to the pprune site that will maintain the anonimity of the often very frank discussions held here?

I personally do not want to lose pprune. The idiots that post garbage always get shot down in flames within a few posts from our many knowledgable and respected colleagues. It is very very effective self censorship. That does not exist on the likes of facebook.

Organisations spend huge sums of money to impart knowledge, awareness, attention to detail, experience and other information to their staff whilst pprune does all of this for free (to them).

In the UK, the standard police caution declares "Anything you do say may be given in evidence".

Can the entry screen to pprune have the statement "Anything you do say may NOT be given in evidence".

If that is not a possibilty then all posters need to consider the messages they post. If companies in our industry take comments on facebook so seriously, then make no mistake, they are looking here too. pprune has a history of accuracy.

Part of me thinks that immunity will make pprune worse. Frankness is welcomed but if totally immune I fear we don't see every disgruntled employee posting garbage about every tunround. How their boss annoyed them. When they forgot their pass. A pilot that didn't make selection. A bumpy flight. Cold food last Tuesday. Bad crew rostering last Thursday. We would have 300'000 garbage posts a day!

Comments all?