PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Missing padlocks on baggage
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2008, 12:59
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Icare9
We have NOT lost anything from the cases (except the padlocks!!) and although they are fairly modest combination locks, they clip the zippers together UNDERNEATH the carrying handle.
Icare9,

The fact that you put the padlock under the carrying handle could be the reason they are being removed. I spend a fair amount of time chatting to our baggage handlers when hanging around waiting for flights and one of their biggest issues is with padlocks and the catches for straps being hidden under the handles. When loading an aircraft, they often don't see them until they pick up the bag and catch their fingers on them, often resulting in cuts and, in at least one case that I know of, a broken finger. These padlocks may seem very small and insignificant, but when you consider how many bags they handle in a day and the speed they often have to work at, you can see how these accidents happen.

I'm not saying this is definitely the case, but it could be a possible reason as to why your padlocks keep disappearing.

Jsl