PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Single Engine Go Around
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2008, 11:16
gibas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Single Engine Go Around

Hi guys!

Have seen lots of discussion about this matter along my career in different operators and fleets.
Regarding a OEI Go Around at which altitude do you level off for acceleration?
Let's divide it into two parts:
Legal Part.
Taking a look at old Doc 8168 it states (more or less) that Missed approach procedures assume a 2.1% (2.5% Low Vis) gradient obsct clearence and an acceleration segment at a min alt of 820ft AGL and 6NM max. for clean up followed by a 1% for en route climb.
Those procedures that do not meet this, a note "climb to xxx feet prior to level accel." should be contained in the miss app procd.
Taking a look at the Jepp charts in Europe, surprisingly I have just seen this note published in French Aerodromes only.(Depends on national AIP?)

Operational part:
What do we pilots (operators) do in real life?
I've seen operators that take a fixed value e.g the FMS default value (1500 ft) for acc alt, others take the final Missed app proc alt, others perform an Eng Out SID!? (which never is included in the briefing assuming an Eng fail during the GoAround) and there's the big discussion for the eternal "what if" guys: what if you go around below minima (balked ldg).

I've seen many high experienced white elefeants speculating with guesses like: "well it depends on the scenario, obstacles,IMC, etc.)
I'm not looking for that response , because I have it at home sharing a beer (After 5 beers every pilot can do single engine aerobatics, we all know, I'm included)

Can anyone out there bring some light to this humble aviation servant?

Thanks in advance.