PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are IMC/IR pilots safer?
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2008, 09:05
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The first time the top of the loop enters cloud is always an interesting event as is maintaining an aerobatic routine in VMC that most pilots would consider to be IMC!
I have flown some aerobatics in marginal aerobatics conditions (let's not call them MVFR because it was OK for straight and level) and I have to admit I agree with your posts. But I never thought my aerobatics experience, limited as it is, would help me fly IMC.

First time I inadvertently entered cloud in an aerobatics routine I was actually intending to do a half cuban. But when I had my sight of the horizon back after the top of the maneuver I was already 60 degree pitched down so a split second decision converted this in a full loop straight away.

There is another caveat why it is not a good idea to combine aeros with IMC and that is that after a moderately complex maneuver, all your gyro instruments have toppled and need some time (seconds to minutes) to recover. In case of the DI, it doesn't recover at all to the correct compass heading but needs to be reset manually. Depending on the exact internal workings, this may already apply to your AH after an inadvertent spin where you reach something like 45 degrees bank and 60 degrees pitch down. (The AH in our aerobatics plane has an additional degree of freedom so it is not representative for a typical IFR aircraft, an all other aircraft we have are prohibited from intentional spinning, so there is no way for me to know of verify what the exact limit would be. But even our AH is off by 30 degrees bank or so after a cuban eight - this was very unnerving to the 1800 hour B737 ATPL I flew aeros with a few weeks ago.)

I have no IMC/IR, but is this something that's being taught in an IMC/IR course when talking about unusual attitude recovery?