PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ops Staff - European Business Jets
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2008, 08:36
twinjetter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maverick

As soon as the announcement was made, it became no-one's job to do anything, as we didn't have jobs!

That aside, ALL OF my guys and I stayed on for a good couple of hours putting Operations to bed. This involved calling all on-duty and down-route pilots and advising (I even stopped an aircraft that was just about to taxi, and told the crew to lock up and go home). In addition, we fielded loads of calls; all done in a professional manner to the last.

Also, I had all of my off-duty staff to advise, and I didn't get of the phone until 2200 that day.

It was a hard day for everyone, but I'm happy, indeed proud of the "work-for-free" professionalism that Ops and me put in on that evening.

If we did miss anyone, then I apologise, but I can categorically state that at no time was I tasked or even asked to ensure all pilots were aware - what we did as a dep't was done all off our own bat in the face of a strong desire to curl up in a corner and cry.

As is with management, my responsibility lies with my staff in that situation; and I'm happy that my staff were made aware. There were two pilot-managers in the very same announcement by GD as me - could it have laid with them? I wouldn't have expected them to call my Ops guys. They were exit-stage-left within 5 mins of the announcement tho (no slight intended; we all deal with things in different ways)

Hopefully some of the guys on duty that fateful day will corroborate the above.

Hope this helps, and once again apologies if we fell below our usual high standards

Cheers

Steve