PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Close Essendon Airport!
View Single Post
Old 31st Oct 2008, 05:32
Jet Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good on ya save essendon group

MEDIA RELEASE

Kelvin Thomson MP Federal Labor Member for Wills
Minister approves Essendon Airport Master Plan

Kelvin Thomson, Member for Wills, today expressed his disappointment at the Government’s decision to approve Essendon Airport’s Master Plan. “Essendon Airport is past its use-by date as an airport. It is surrounded by built up, long established residential communities from all sides, flight approaches and take offs.

It has a history of aircraft accidents, in particular light aircraft, which have claimed lives”, Mr Thomson said “In 1978 a family of six was killed when a light aircraft crashed into their home at the southern end of the North-South Runway. “In 1986 six people died when an air ambulance crashed after taking off and in 1993 a Hawker de Havilland struck power lines just after take off and hit the rooves of four adjoining houses before diving into the front yard of the next house.

“I am disappointed the Government has approved the Master Plan and not instructed Essendon Airport Pty Ltd to put forward revised plans to relocate aircraft. “The Draft Master Plan public feedback process received approximately 180 submissions, 80% of which I understand called for the relocation of aircraft from Essendon. “As part of the approval however I am pleased the Minister has listened to the local community through the public feedback process and announced new measures as part of the approval”. The Minister has advised airport management the Government has no plans to relax the curfew.

The Minister has asked airport management to establish a Working Group to examine and report on the impact of aircraft movements and how aircraft noise can be better managed. “The Minister has personally invited me to take part in Working Group and I have accepted. “I will work with the other members of the Group including EAPL, Air Services Australia, the Department of Transport and Infrastructure and Bill Shorten to continue representing my constituents and find practical ways to reduce noise, fumes, improve safety and other impacts that residents have raised concern about”.
The Working Group has been allocated specific tasks to report to the Minister on by April 2009 which include; • Ways to better manage and monitor the aviation noise impacts at Essendon Airport;
• The most effective options to reduce the noise impact on nearby residents, while maintaining the viability of Essendon Airport, including:

o analysing the current aircraft mix, which aircraft generate noise of most concern to nearby residents and exploring whether the mix might be altered to reduce the community impact;

o analysing whether runway usage might be altered to reduce noise impacts;

o better management of Fly Neighbourly flight paths and noise abatement zones;

o identifying specific noise buffer zones and techniques to better shield local residences from airport operations; and

o the establishment of an airport operated community consultation committee for ongoing dialogue on airport issues, including on-airport developments and noise management. The Working Group will provide analysis on the impact of each option on the community, the operations of the airport, airport users and the wider transport/ freight network. “My joint submission to the Essendon Airport Draft Master Plan with State Member, Judy Maddigan, and my submission to the National Aviation Review recommended measures be considered to promote more effective dialogue between the local community and the airport.

“The establishment of the Working Group shows the Government has paid some regard to the concerns raised by the local community. “The announcement of these measures is a direct result of the strong community campaign that local residents have undertaken and I will continue working on behalf of my constituents to ensure their concerns are addressed through the Working Group”,

Mr Thomson concluded. Friday 31st October 2008 Media inquiries: Anthony Cianflone from Kelvin Thomson’s office 9350 5777 or 0419 386 950 Anthony Cianflone Electorate Officer Office of Kelvin Thomson MP Federal Member for Wills Ph: (03) 9350 5777 Fax: (03) 9350 6613 Mobile: 0419 386 950 Email: [email protected] www.kelvinthomson.com.au