PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet Holding Pool
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2008, 17:42
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to correct a few inaccuracies that have arisen -

nuageblanc - your own personal inadequacies are allowing the truth to get in the way of a good story. EasyJet do not ALWAYS take minimum fuel. EasyJet policy is to carry Computerised Flight Plan (CFP) fuel - pilots should have a specific purpose to carry extra. Extra fuel is only carried if there is a strong possibility of it being used – ie thunderstorms in the vicintiy, destination weather at or near limits, an unscheduled runway closure due weather, x-wind, contaminated runways, ATC dep/arr delays, poss extra approaches at destination or forecast icing en-route. In practice that means if the Commander has a sensible reason for taking extra fuel he does so - I do it often for any of the above reasons and have never, ever had a single comment made of any kind. I see nothing unsafe or unreasonable in the above policy - it is just plain common sense.

Regarding the comments about GB pilots, I used to work for GB and came to easyJet nearly 5 years ago as a volunteer. I have worked for both companies for several years and have found both to be friendly, professional and hard-working. There have indeed been some teething problems in the integration process, but overall it has been a great success. The vast majority of GB pilots are glad to be at easyJet in the current climate and although some of the more senior (a relative handful) of their pilots have lost out financially, a whole lot more have done very well. Like any airline we have our pressures in the current climate, but overall it is a great place to be - not surprisingly there is a huge queue of pilots waiting to join us. It is the intention of all pilots at easyJet, from whatever background, to join together to ensure that the conditions we currently enjoy are not eroded due to ill-considered and precipitous action by over-zealous managers. Any pressures we currently face have had the effect of uniting all pilots together and that is being reflected in the growth of our union membership. I am personally delighted our ex-GB colleagues are with us and fully expect to have a long and happy career flying besides them. In a very short time, there will be no talk of GB Airways - just a larger group of easyJet pilots.

I hope that clarifies any doubts that may have been raised.