PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter onboard research vessel "Polarstern" crashed - two dead
Old 30th Oct 2008, 14:46
flybmb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stefan not Stephan

A bit late, but only now just found this dialog concerning the accident and Stefan.
To whom it may concern; the pilots name was not Stephan but Stefan Winter, in good spirit the morning of the accident around 6pm, the last time I spoke to him and only 2.5 hr before the crash. Really appreciated spending the last 2 weeks of his life in his presence (as participant of the expedition). Shocking what happened and also still curious about what really happened. Took notice of wreck and crashsite. 4800 flight hours (including previous 2 Arctic and 2 Antarctic expeditions) in combination with his relaxed, gentle appearance resulting in "show-off flying" and a crash puzzled me. Good to hear that he belonged to the top 2% (PatMcgroin)
The morning of the crash 80% of the sky was overcast with only a dim horizon and diffuse light. Don't know what that means (as I am not a pilot), can only guess. Station was still not in reach at location where it happened (approach to land not likely).
Lost a good friend and indeed a gentleman of the first order there and then. He will be missed.
Greetings,
flybmb

Last edited by flybmb; 30th Oct 2008 at 15:16.