PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is it legal to carry extra Avgas in a jerry can?
Old 30th Oct 2008, 13:40
FRQ Charlie Bravo

Location: ˙ǝqɐq ǝɯ ʇ,uıɐ ʇɐɥʇ 'sɔıʇɐqoɹǝɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɯɐu ɹıǝɥʇ ʇnd ǝɯos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Legal vs good idea???

PVT - DG regs don't apply

I've been "dobbed in" to CASA on this one before and asked to provide a "please explain", they were happy with my explanation that it was a PVT op (I flew the bosses C210 and I was off duty as I wanted to get the stranded aeroplane back for another PVT flight I wanted to take) to get fuel to a stranded aeroplane. Case closed (except trying to prove that the w@nker who thought he was dobbing me in really just had an axe to grind).

I believe that CASAs acceptance of my explaination deems it a licit operation (i.e. not illegal if truly PVT ops). However, I would caution anybody considering this to thoroughly consider all of the possibilities (think about Mission Aviation's latest history and the fact that they do have a DG acceptance program, of course that's still a very open investigation). Definately seal the jerrys, there's no need to vent at normal altutudes (if you do "vent" then the atmosphere will just push in through the vent causing air to try and escape somehow... which will lead to atmospheric pressure pushing on the fuel which, if the nozzle is stored inverted so that it extends into fuel, will lead to fuel coming out). Remember that you still have to meet the requirements of CASR 92.175 Subparts 92.B and 92.C (much like operators having DG acceptance).

For god's sake though be careful and think it all through carefully. Legal and ideal are two seperate things (I'll do it a bit differently the next time... I won't allow them to "vent" )

FRQ CB

Last edited by FRQ Charlie Bravo; 30th Oct 2008 at 13:42. Reason: w@nker isn't a bad word