PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New CTAF rules show gross CASA incompetence
Old 30th Oct 2008, 10:39
gettin' there

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my very short few years flying this will be the third system that will be/has been in effect when it comes to uncontrolled aerodromes.

My observations in that time are that any system is only as good or effective as the people using it and there are so many people doing different things under the current system, going and changing it all again will only confuse the issue and leave it open further "interpretations".

Now before anyone jumps down my throat i am a very firm believer in following the rules, regardless of if i personally believe them to be right or not. Rules is rules. I believe that it is a pilot's responsibity weather they are a weekend warrior or a Big Burner Captain to be up do date and informed with current rules and procedures. All very well in an ideal world but its just not going to happen.

You seem to get three types of people.

- The ones who try and follow the rules. Occasionaly they will get it wrong but they try and keep "up to date"

- The ones who think "well when i learnt to fly we did this, ive always done this and so ill keep doing this and i dont want to know about this new fandangled stuff" or "its all too hard, ill just do what i think is right"

- The idiots who have no regard for rules and procedures, think THEY know better and do things the way THEY think it should be done

Unfortunately with yet another new system which will obviously have flaws (have to agree with Dick here) being introduced it will only serve to malke it harder for those from the first group and unfortunately nothing will ever change the minds and opinions of the second two.

Net result we will have what we have now. A system that doens't work because you will have some people doing what is right, some doing what used to be right and some doing whatever the they feel like.

Bit negative i know but thats just my observations and opinion.