PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA 757 departed runway at ORD - no injuries
Old 30th Oct 2008, 05:49
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Collin Powell is not an aviation safety expert indeed. Nevermind his character&deeds, my opinion is that his statement:

Experience is helpful but it is decisions that count.
...is very true for life in general and aviation safety in particular. It was only fair of me to credit the author properly.

OK, so how come it wasn't in the PHAK books before the crash?
I'm unable to verify that tere were even PHAK books before 2003. edition. However warnings about dynamic unstabillity and pilot induced oscillations can be found in any aerodynamics handbook worthy of its name, even decades before AA587. As Marlene Dietrich commented about the matter that has no connection with flying, but I find it relevant nevertheless:
Those who wanted to know, knew.
as to icing...the point was planes without leading edge devices are more prone to problems than those with leading edge devices. the crash in canada and its resulting information was not passed on to US operators of another funky european plane.
So is your point that we can be more carreless with wing ice if our aeroplane is slats equipped? Also it seems that I have to spell it out: I don't like oblique hints! If you think that Dryden accident had some sinister connections with Roselawn, way don't you say it out loud?

have you ever been locked into a wingtip wake vortex
I'm fiery supporter of avoidance-is-easier-than-recovery theory. That's why I always warn ATC I need 2mins separation behind 757 when cleared to line up behind one at LHR and LGW. I have never encountered wake below 4000AGL and certanly have never been locked into one.

I take it you learned to fly this century and not the last one.
Irelevant. Newton's and Bernoulli's laws haven't been amended since the first issue or had they area of aplicability changed. Those who learnt to fly 100 years ago and those who made their first solo yesterday had to obey the same laws to stay airborne. Anyway, you've got even the millenium wrong.