PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sterling Airlines bankrupt
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2008, 01:02
Stone Temple Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Sterlings

The original Sterling of Krogager's was Sterling Airways. Almost a "Danish Legacy" carrier. A pioneer, a "sterling" airline, wonderful terms and conditions - a great airline to fly with and to work for.
Unfortunately that went bankrupt (without the interference of Icelandic investors). A sad day indeed....

Then came Sterling European - a start-up, based on the old Sterling. A "modern" airline - also in terms of truly adequate job terms and conditions, which saw alot of original Sterling pilots stay with whatever greener pastures they had found. This airline managed to stay a float during tough times and during good times - probably because there were no Icelandic investors involved yet...

Then it was all re-invented and turned Lo-Co, including whatever that implies for job terms and conditions and for the travellers. We're in the 21st century and everything has to be .com - so Sterling goes Sterling.dk, Sterling.com and eventually merges with Maersk Air (another good Danish airline brand diluted into a Lo-Co, cheapskate product) and I believe the airline officially becomes Sterling Airlines with a multitude of colour schemes - aircrafts going green, blue and red and wearing hybrid Maersk/Sterling paintschemes. Even the staff groups are called "the blues and the reds" designating former Maersk (blue) pilots and Sterling (red) pilots.

And now it's over (again)...

I feel sad for all the staff involved - especially for alot of old schoolers in the Cabin from the original Sterling Airways who have been loyal since the 60's and 70's. Also for the lots of flight and cabin crew from the previous Maersk, who've seen their job quality go down the drain and even for quite a few young former (or formerly young!) SAS pilots, who have now lost their jobs twice within 5 years.
I wish everybody - BUT the icelandic investors - good luck.