PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Navigating Flight Preperation
View Single Post
Old 30th Oct 2008, 00:08
Capt Wally

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh another tool that should be used whenever possible is the auto pilot, assuming you have one that's serviceable. Use it to fly the sector entry (with yr inout obviously) if needed whilst perhaps sorting out traffic etc. Lots of traffic during a test of training whilst actually in VMC but under th hood do as I mentioned above, USE yr instructor/examiner where possible. The autopilot will fly a lot better than a human will so don't be a 'hero' & think you can do better.
Sure you will need to hand fly a lot during yr training also but in the real world of IF flying most use the autopilot to it's fullest extent.

And as far as IFR being easier than VFR? Well to some degree yes it can be (what you can't see won't hurt you) but when it's as rough as guts, 3am & yr hand flying a fair dinkum NDB to the min (cause the autopilot said "do it yourself I'm going home!) is where the above statement is crap!

BTW 'chimba' I've not used a prayer/whiz wheel in years, sad? not really just smarter, you see few use Abacus machines now since they invented the calculator I see little muse for such tools in todays modern IFR environment esspecially with GPS now becoming the norm for LRN.

CW

Last edited by Capt Wally; 30th Oct 2008 at 00:38.