PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AVG 8 (Free) issues
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2008, 18:39
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks to all here and a particular 'doff of the hat' to Tarq. Despite hours of 'gargling' and trawling the AVG fora I had not found that remover. Worked a treat as did the security fix.
Excellent, you're welcome. As we say in my line of work, I love it when a plan comes together.
Do run that removal tool again b4 installing any other AV, since a repeat install was attempted.
Are there any reliable reports on how AVG compares with the others for catching viruses etc? It's never failed me, whereas McAfee and several of the others have in the past let nasties through.
Reports/tests/reviews etc are problematic, because they can, by definition, only take a snapshot of how an application did "on the day". With hundreds of new nasties released daily, it's possible that an hour or twos' delay in updating virus definitions could make a difference to a "score". Viewed over time, they give a reasonable indication. AV-Comparatives is probably considered the authoritative testing site. And here is a Russian test of some AV's abilities at actual removal. Put it through Google Translate if you don't read Russian. The site is fairly well respected, from what I gather.