PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATS interview process
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2008, 15:05
ar_ni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Following on… I just got the Yes email! I just thought I’d share my experience and add to the mass of information here that’s helped me out a lot. I’ve got through first time round and it has taken two months. I’ll try and break down the stages and explain a few things I found beneficial without repeating all the previous posts too much!

Stage one-

The SHL practice data checking questions are great practice. Do it a few times and you will speed up.

For the cubes- instead of trying to visualise the whole thing I concentrated on a specific side. Each side has a different pattern, and from what I remember there is always a black triangle (or inverted) on one side. For each net I figured out what the ‘point’ of the triangle pointed towards, and what was on the ‘base’ side. This worked for me…

For the diagramming- Use the scrap paper- especially when it gets to resequencing the final order it makes it foolproof and probably quicker in the long run with lack of confusion!

And the motivation test- it’s been said a million times- learn the document. It’s not that hard, and you have to know it in the next stages. The only other thing is have a general awareness of distances between UK cities/European cities. Specifics aren’t needed but basic geographical knowledge is…

Stage two-

For the motivation paper here I say learn it, and learn it well! It’s a much tougher test than the one at stage one. If your maths is a bit rusty then do a few D/S/T practice questions. Half the challenge with these is knowing what to do with the data that you’re given.

I was nervous about the HR interview as I’d recently failed an interview for a part time job which I thought I should get no problem. To calm my nerves here I went back to one of the interviewers and asked for some feedback. She was lovely and gave me a couple of pointers but was basically positive and said ‘be yourself, you’ll be great.’ I’d also say make use of a careers advisory service if it’s available to you. I’m probably in the minority in that I’m still at university and have a lot of guidance readily available. I booked a meeting with a careers advisor and told her the outline (structured questions, situational, examples and skills). She gave me a lot of help with how I could talk about my own experiences and make them impressive. A piece of advice that can be passed on is how the British have a tendency to downplay our achievements and somehow make them sound negative- ‘I just did this…’ ‘I’ve only really got this…’ etc. Even if you don’t have a school or university careers service there will normally be a Connexions office nearby who I’m sure would help.

Literally write a list of the things you’re involved in and what skills you have gained from this. And believe it. There’s no point being in a sports club and saying that this makes you a good team player, improves judgement, gives you responsibility etc etc whatever, if you’re just saying it because it sounds good. Write it down- Where do the skills come from and give an example- you work well in the team because you don’t hog the ball, but you can recognise your chance and you will take it. You’ve been responsible for bringing water to a match, for boosting morale, whatever… You have to recognise your skills and be enthusiastic. Enthusiasm can get you anywhere

Useful posts:
-Keywords post on page 22 (Edvin76). Don’t just try and get them all in, but pick the ones that you know are relevant to the things you do. It’s just realising your own potential!
-Nokio’s massive post on page 35. It brings everything anyone has ever said about stage two all together.

Stage three-

I’m repeating posts again, but preparation is the key. You really can’t blag it. Have something to say when you’re asked how you’ve prepared. Know the aims of the company and know how it works, what it does, etc… Find an element that you’re interested in that you know you can talk about for hours (if only you were allowed… ). I was ready for a half hour rant about the sustainable aviation program that NATS support, but that’s because I’m from a family of environmental nuts and I was excited to find something that proved my dream career path wasn’t completely dedicated to destroying the world. The NATS Media Centre link will lead you to endless information which you will never ever be able to process.

I mentioned this in the above post- I was terrified about aircraft recognition and found the following useful (and also horribly addictive… beware!): http://www.airliners.net/quiz/
Looking at endless pictures of Boeings vs. Airbus’ really works! It’s all in the tail and the winglets…!

Another thing I’d point you towards is an old thread: http://www.pprune.org/atc-issues/78751-got-nats-interview-read-here-first.html

This is good for more interview-specific information. However I’d also say don’t get too wrapped up in pprune accounts of people’s interviews. Yours will be different. Yours will be about you. Take time rereading the motivation material from stages one and two- you WILL be asked on it, and in detail, and it’s not multiple choice this time!

Lastly I’d say try and enjoy it. I was a grinning fool on the way home from stage two as it had been such a good day, despite not being confident about passing at all. Don’t be a quivering worrying wreck- you’re there to show the recruitment lot why you believe you can do the job- believe in yourself!

(I love cheese!)

Good luck!

Abi