PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 29th Oct 2008, 08:07
tucumseh

Received 174 Likes on 66 Posts
Call me a cynic but……! In this world, protectionism is rife. What was it that was said following the Alaskan MD-83 accident by an FAA official? “If you really want to whistle-blow (ie tell the truth) in this (aviation) industry, make sure you don’t want to remain in the industry any longer!” I have paraphrased the quote – but it was words to that effect!

Very true Hot’n’High. The only thing I’d add is “i.e. tell the truth about wrongdoing”, because a bus was deliberately driven through the airworthiness regulations and the rules governing BoIs by people who had a legal obligation to comply with them.

And, while I respect the belated change of heart by the likes of John Major and Malcolm Rifkind, the fact remains they spoke up after they relinquished power (or were booted out). Even at that level, if you fight from within you’re for the chop.

The inevitable result can be seen in the recent Nimrod and Hercules verdicts. Different aircraft, different roles, different causes (as far as we know) but just one step up the airworthiness and safety ladder of responsibility and you get to precisely the same few names in MoD. In case my view isn’t clear, I don’t agree with their, admittedly consistent, rulings that implementing the airworthiness regs is optional and you must face the consequences if you disobey an order to ignore them and refuse to make a false declaration that you have complied. (MoD(PE) / DPA 2* in charge of Chinook, and all his bosses). As he said to me in a letter of Dec 2000, if you don’t like it, get another job.