PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 engines, one fail. Go, no go?
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2008, 23:19
Jumbo Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by A Comfy Chair
Phil... I'm not sure why you think that rejecting close to V1 with an engine failure would be more risky than continuing... expecially if your V1 was calculated to be the minimum "Go" speed, not the maximum stop speed!
A heavyweight rejected take-off on a 747 at or close to V1 involves considerable energy absorption and should not be undertaken lightly. Stopping around 380 tonnes using heavy braking will at the very least generate considerable heat in the brakes and tyres - including blowing some fusible plugs - and I can assure you this focuses the mind somewhat as you taxy off the runway (if you can!), usually at the far end. Add to that the problem that prompted you to reject the take-off in the first place and you will have quite a lot to consider in a short space of time. If you can take the problem into the air and give yourself a more relaxed approach to the problem, as well as the decided advantage of a more normal deceleration, using the whole runway, it may well be a far better option in my opinion.

Originally Posted by boeingboy737
if you are carring pax you are supposed to land at neariest airport. cant find the reg at this moment ill have to look it up I would land!
This is not correct - either in USA or UK. The requirement only applies to the twinjets. As far as USA is concerned, I would refer you to FARs (para (b) below being the most relevant), which say:
Sec. 121.565 - Engine inoperative: Landing; reporting.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, whenever an engine of an airplane fails or whenever the rotation of an engine is stopped to prevent possible damage, the pilot in command shall land the airplane at the nearest suitable airport, in point of time, at which a safe landing can be made.

(b) If not more than one engine of an airplane that has three or more engines fails or its rotation is stopped, the pilot in command may proceed to an airport that he selects if, after considering the following, he decides that proceeding to that airport is as safe as landing at the nearest suitable airport:

(1) The nature of the malfunction and the possible mechanical difficulties that may occur if flight is continued.
(2) The altitude, weight, and usable fuel at the time of engine stoppage.
(3) The weather conditions en route and at possible landing points.
(4) The air traffic congestion.
(5) The kind of terrain.
(6) His familiarity with the airport to be used.

JD

Last edited by Jumbo Driver; 28th Oct 2008 at 23:41. Reason: Inclusion of FARs reference