PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AAIB Bulletin: Morecambe Bay
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2008, 22:23
FairWeatherFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a non-IFR pilot (dons nomex underwear), I had a flick through the report and pondered the differences in aids between an approach at EGLL to the one in question here. Isn't a GPWS system one that might have helped here because of its appreciation of both height and more importantly RoD of radalt? If you have a high workload and believe you have just recovered from a stressful situation and get a 100ft warning then you have no immediate concern because you 'know' you are flying straight and level. If you have a differential system and recognise the alert as one that indicates a few seconds until the ground appears (based on Rod+radalt) then you're more likely to focus your attention on dealing with that until it shuts up? In the same way that your eyes would pass on this impetus if the outside world was visible and the ground was approaching rapidly?

Are there any videos of a bad weather night approach? If a picture is worth a thousand words, i think a video is worth even more to convey to those inexperienced with such matters what goes on. I've only found good weather ones on Internet so far and that only really showed the 'at a shallow angle, lots of yellow lights look the same' phenomena.