PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Four Star Air Cargo
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2008, 15:04
Round Engine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow Contrabando - strong words there. It makes me very sad that the DC-3 has to get a bum reputation because of the people that operate it. The DC-3 is sedate and forgiving, but "handling like a pig"?. Having some experience of the Caribbean DC-3 mechanics, I suspect the airplane you flew was as badly rigged as the others I saw in the same area. The pilots by en-large were of atrocious quality too - with shocking witchcraft and supertstition prevalent. Four Star I believe are making a conscious effort to improve the operation and shake the reputation they have. Flying big radials is not for sissies - but it helps a lot if you do it right.

"Ever flown a DC-3? I have. It flies like a winged pig. One of the most over-rated aircraft in history" That statement was just to get a rise out of some people, I suspect.

I have flown the DC-3 plenty enough hours and I KNOW where it got its good reputation from. Its a good airplane and it deserves its praise. If anything the fact that scheduled airlines still operate them should bear that out.