PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My son (15) chooses his future career – PPL here we come
Old 28th Oct 2008, 09:34
gberry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you to you all

Firstly, thank you to you all that have either red the blog and especially to those that responded with some great advice. I’m going into this with my eyes open, yes there is a cost and who knows what tomorrow brings, if I’m out of work then fly, with many other things will stop, but whilst I can support him then I will, with the understanding that he is only 15 and a lot can change.
‘A’ levels…………you bet, Uni…. Probably, the advice about get a trade, good sound advice and the ‘A’ levels in Maths & Physics are the grounding for many trades.

So, although I only blogged yesterday, it was to start the story really. Since his trial flight we to the school on the 18th October, got the day wrong and they had no available aircraft but we covered some ground work, which was some good basic stuff.

Saturday (25th October) we had a two hour session, with ground work covering what we learnt the week before and then 1 hour 10 mins flying in which my son did 80% of the flying, we covered primary and secondary effects on surfaces and controls, Trimming, turning (of course), and getting used to the controls in general. My son did the take off abut due to high cross winds our instructor took the controls.
Overall I think our instructor was pleased with him and told me that he had a natural touch and that if this continues we could do this within the 35 hours. I feel the challenge is really the ground work and the exams…… flying is the fun bit………. Another session this week and then a break for a couple of weeks. Every two weeks or three seems good advice to me, steady as she goes….. (oh that’s a navel saying !)