PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If you want to work in China..!!
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2008, 01:28
On Final

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up If you want to work in China..!!

Thanks for your quick reply, I try to give accurate information which gives credit to the many posts I have read that have been helpful here. I have spoken to quite a few pilots that got tangled up in China spending 6 months to a year waiting trying to jump through hoop after hoop. Then at the end game, never get the job they tried to get because of problems with the Recruiting Agency or the airline just turned out to be a bad deal.

If you really want to work in China you need to be very careful with many things that normal jobs don't involve. Here is my story.

I started out wanting to fly the A-330, after my type rating only found 1 airline that would interview me as a test case having thousands of hours PIC A-320 series. I turned down the interview because I read many posts about how this company (I won't mention the name here) because I didn't want to get chewed up in the process. I don't think the airline is really bashing pilots anymore because it has hurt their recruitment process.

I looked at Vietnam Airlines but there was no upgrade to the A-330 available.
It looked like a good deal with the 4 weeks on 4 weeks off but I am tired of the light twin, A-320...!!

I ended up taking a job with a Chinese Airline that is not in the mainstream but offered an upgrade to the A-330. It was the Diamond in the rough, and the way I am treated here is much better than the way I was back when I worked for TWA. I am very happy so far and it was worth the time and energy..!

I started this process in June this year and just finished up so you can see this process is rather long. The Olympics blocked some of us for an additional 2 month wait so Oh Well.

First the interview, which is more like a 10 day evaluation. You take the famous Chinese Medical CAAC Beijing (Pass), Local Medical form work visa The Famous Chinese Written exam (Pass), Police Letter (Pass) Oh, I forgot the interview.

You go in with your agent, company representatives, interpreters there was a total of 10 to 12 people in this large board room. it is really informal just some chit chat about "Why you want to work in China" which I named my post header from. After 30 to 45 minutes you finish up and your on your way.

After you finish all of this it was a busy 10 days. You go back home and wait for your license verification. Word to the wise, if you are thinking about China you need to get your circle to land restriction removed from your certificate if you have one. As soon as your license verification comes in you pack your stuff and head to china. Make sure you bring all of your required original documents with you it you same you time and hassle later.

You get to do a CAAC aircraft Sim check, finish your ground school, get your Chinese Pilot License, line training and check, and then you are finished.

This post is already too long and if anyone is interested I can add more details later. I wish you guys the best of luck and happy flying..!!