PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in Saba/St. Maarten, any more info?
Old 28th Oct 2008, 01:19
Buitenzorg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know you either brother but the fact remains that the helicopter wasn't necessary as the boat evacuation proves; but the helicopter was more convenient. However attempting an evacuation by such a poorly-equipped helicopter during the hours of darkness over water involves such a high level of risk that any experienced professional pilot should have declined the flight. There is a damn good reason why this kind of operation is prohibited: many people have died proving just how dangerous it is.

If you ever code I'll get you to the best level of care as quickly as I safely can - but I don't intend to commit suicide in the process. There are some risks associated with living in remote areas, difficult access to specialized medical facilities being one of them. It is your choice whether to accept that risk or not, and your responsibility to deal with the consequences of that choice. It is not somebody else's responsibility to risk their life as a consequence of your choice.