PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Medical evacuation helicopter crashed"
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2008, 22:47
Gomer Pylot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Other countries can legislate as they like, but that won't affect the USA. The FAA is required by law to consider the economic impact of every new regulation, or change to existing regulation. Under the current regime, there is absolutely no interest in doing anything that might affect the profits of any corporation. Whining, wailing, and gnashing of teeth have no effect. As for NVGs, most of them are going to Iraq, and there is an acute shortage of them for civilian use. Several companies want to start using them, but simply can't buy enough to cover their needs.

Medical information may come with the flight request, but it's usually sparse, mostly just whether it's a trauma or medical patient. I don't want to know much about the patient's condition, but the med crew in the back does. They want to plan their actions, and know what to take with them from the helicopter. I usually try to get some patient information for them, but it never affects my decision about flying. Like someone said above, this is no place for young and inexperienced pilots. There are a few around, though, and they will either learn to be cautious or die. Most of us are old and nearing retirement, and not prone to risking our lives. Some of us always will, though, and legislation won't change that. I would love to be flying a modern twin with a 2-pilot crew, nicely IFR equipped, but I've come to realize that's just pie in the sky. Never happen, GI, no matter how much the other side of the pond complains.