PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2008, 08:45
justme69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, if "blame" from the pilot's actions is consistenly going to be put in management, and I was one in an airliner, I would no doubt put a couple of "video ipods cameras" recording audio/video for several hours in cockpits and retrieve them "at night".

Then, I would hire someone to spend the whole day fast-forwading through to the important maneuvers (take-off, landing), going to normal motion when he suspected the crew was acting up.

And I would personally review a few of the "tapes" myself, at least one operation (i.e. takeoff) of each of my crews a month.

Just knowing that the cameras are there, would make a lot of pilots realize that "their system" is not better than the "checklist", i.e., or that looking at the flaps gauge is not optional.

The alternative is to have a system where the pilot is only nominally supervised (during training excercises, tests, QAR, inspectors) like we have now and, when he screws up for not following the training, it's probably only his "fault", not ONLY that of the ones that "didn't catch him not following trained procedures".

Last edited by justme69; 27th Oct 2008 at 09:07.