PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LVTO without LVP?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2008, 08:08
Spitoon

I don't know what is done in other States but I can give a view on the UK process as applied 7 or 8 years ago, the last time I got involved with LVOs.

In the UK the CAA requires LVPs that are appropriate for the operations that may take place. Therefore, if there is a CAT III approach to any runway, holding points which protect ILS sensitive areas will be used etc.

Any LVPs - for example, where LVTOs are taking place and there are no precision approaches - will limit access to the manoeuvring area and movement area and, perhaps, physically prevent the use of some routes. At aerodromes without SMR/ASMGCS, it is usual for surface movements to be limited to one aircraft at a time in order to reduce the risk of collision or runway incursion.

There are many other activities that must be in place for an aerodrome to declare 'LVPs in force' but, essentially, if pilots are told that LVPs are in place, any operation that is available will be appropriately protected.

I have heard discussions more recently of declaring LVPs in force for a particular runway or having different levels of procedures in place for different parts of the aerodrome. I don't know whether these ideas have been implemented anywhere in the UK but I tend to feel that simple is better - this minimises the risk of errors and misunderstandings!