PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Four Course Radio Range
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2008, 01:40
pigboat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll go have another look for my procedures book on the range lost orientation. I went looking this AM and couldn't find it.

We also had an ILS lost orientation, in which you had to figure out whether you were on a front course or a back course. I only ever did it once, in practice. You had to position the aircraft to cross the ILS at 90 degrees, and time the full deflection of the localizer needle, call that A to B. You then either turned left or right 135 degrees to recross the localizer and then turned either left or right to cross the localizer again at 90 degrees on the same heading as the first time you crossed and timed that full deflection, call that C to D. If you'd turned left for the 135 degree turn and the timing was greater C to D than it was A to B, you were on a back course, and vice versa. I never really did figure out why that procedure was necessary, but back then most ILS recievers had five channels, A, B, C, D and E and were only crystal tunable. We had one DC-3 freighter that they eventually forbade us to fly into YUL because we didn't have frequency 110.5, the freek on R24L at the time.