PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SAA opts for Airbus
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2002, 23:40
LAVDUMP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Partial amendment to my last posting.... .. .I understand that the 744s are needed for the cargo space and are used on the extra-long-haul South Afric-US and UK flights. Certainly if cargo revenues were consistent and the marginal revenue gained could compensate for lack of fleet commonality, then maybe they should be kept around. . .. .Excluding the cargo angle, I still think the 777-200/300 (ER versions) would suit SAA just fine. As for range and over-water flying, China Southern uses 777s to fly from Southern China to Los Angeles nonstop and MAS uses 777s to fly from Dubai to Newark nonstop - they are very capable (and very comfortable from a passenger standpoint). I have not been impressed with the A340 comfort on long-haul flights personally.. .. .I also think SAA needs to coordinate better with its commuter partners - SAA Airlink and South African Express. I think the CRJs and ERJs should be better optimized to link with connecting long-haul flights - maybe banks of flights (of course depends upon airfield capacity). The RJs should be flying further afield and/or should be used on a more business-friendly high utilization schedule (on the hour) among the bigger cities. Once RJ markets are developed, A319s should be deployed in conjunction with RJ flights. I guess the J41s and Dash 8s can still be used on local feeder flights to support the network - although EMB-135s could eventually replace their turboprop counterparts on most routes (excluding difficult-to-get-into Skakuza and other places requiring a Dash 8) once a sufficient number are employed (for economies of scale benefits). I'd prefer to see an all Embraer regional jet fleet given the flexibility of the EMB-135 and 145LR (long-range version).. .. .These are just suggestions. Thanks for your time...............