PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is meant by "RIP" anyway?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2008, 20:51
Pilot DAR

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
What is meant by "RIP" anyway?

With no particular reference to any particular person, event, or thread (but certainly inspired by one), what do people mean when they relate unhappy events in detail, write speculation about the actions of a victim, or otherwise present information which we could probably agree could not be "family rated", and then end their post with "RIP".

Doesn't "RIP" mean Rest in Peace. Wouldn't "peace" be being protected by one's peers (us) from untimely and unwarranted attack and pursuit when the person can no longer stand in their own defense? Apparently we'll all stand up for some poor fellow who's private runway is under threat of closure, but let him crash there, and people jump all over him, then evade guilt by typing "RIP" at the end of the attack!

In due time, the sharp pain of a recent loss recedes, and a proper time comes to LEARN and GROW from an unhappy event, while recounting only the minimum required to make that happen. How about waiting until then. If some kind of immediate action is found necessary, believe me the regulators will do it, it does not have to be discussed here.

It is my opinion that if RIP is the true sentiment of those who wish to post, than it should be limited to that. How about a PPRuNe code of conduct that comments are not made on accidents, but accident REPORTS?

Perhaps I've been a bit guilty in the past too, I'll clean up my act, how about the rest of you?

Pilot DAR