PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in Saba/St. Maarten, any more info?
Old 26th Oct 2008, 17:48
Furia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assuming that every government can afford a helicopter big enough to function as an occasional 24/7 all-weather air ambulance is rather naive.
No my friend, the naive thing is believing they can`t.

While of course would be specific cases and most of them are on the very undeveloped countries I do not think neither Saba or Honduras fit into that.

The problem is that Goverments have other priorities others than the people's health.

Fors instance you mentioned Honduras.

ok lets see.
Honduras Airforce Order of Battle.
Bell 412SP
C-130A
Ce180E
CeA185F
Ce310R
UH-1H
Hughes 500D
IAI201
IAI1124-1
PA-31P
PA-31-350
PA-34-200T
PA-42
RC695A
U-17A
Ce182P
MXT-7-180
T-27
T-41B
T-41D(H)
F-5E
F-5F
A-37B
OA-37B
And I am not mentioning the 7 helicopters that the police uses.

So lets see. we have Fighters, Hercules Transports and multiple helicopter types including Uh1 and B412 but of course they cannot afford to have a medical evacuation system.

So we have that you with a single engine piston helicopter build in the 70's and privately owned is the only thing that mean dead or life for the poor people that may need urgent medical transportation.

I do not pretend to change the world here on this post, we all aware of the injustices of it, however while some countries surely cannot afford to buy a helicopter (the list of thos countries is really small) the truth is that in some others, medical care and people's health is simply not on top of the list of the goverment.
I am sure the rich people or politicians on those countries do not suffer such troubles, either they fly on their private helicopter or the are kindly transported by the airforce nicelly called by an influent friend.

On this page for less than 1 million euros you can buy a twin engine fully IFR certified helicopter.
http://www.avbuyer.com/aircraftsales...aftResults.asp

I do not know the Saba economical situation buy just imagine inside the helicopter would have been a famous rich american or european tourist.
Then I am sure the post accident economical situation would be far worse due the lack of tourism.