PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2008, 17:18
rattler46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Courts Martial Are Real Courts

(Sorry, dont find a "Quote" button, so just highlighting it it manually):

Quote Rattler46:
Think of it a a court martial, keeping up the spirit while performing to the public, plenty of room still and nothing perjudicary stated with just the accusation. /EndQuote

Quote Similin_Ed: If I have misread the above quote, I apologize, but at least in the U.S., courts martial are real courts and they are deadly serious. Courts martial have been established by acts of congress under The Uniform Code of Military Justice. They are not show trials for the sake of public opinion. Convictions in courts martial are the same as convictions in any other federal court and the punishments awarded, including imprisonment and death, are very real./End_Quote

Sorry if that came along the wrong angle: By no means did I want to disqualify court martials in any way, I fully understand they are real courts (I am ex mil myself).

What I wanted to express with my post was that the inquisitionary juridical system in Spain (I live here, just FdR) with an "instructional" judge heading the *criminal* (and none else) investigation has some similarities to court martials in as that you can get accused of just about anything fairly easily (and much easier than in traditional common law "civil" criminal procedures) as long there is just a hint of "reasonable suspicion" of a criminal responsability, more or less along the lines of "...better be on the safe side...".

AFAIK (at least in Germany, where I served 8 yrs), about 95% of the court martials, long before oral trial, terminate w/o accusation (i.e. no formal charges brought against the defendants), from what I understand this is the same in an instructed criminal investigation case in Spain, as said in the name, this is an investigation and nothin more, after all.

FWIW, Rattler