PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Four Star Air Cargo
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2008, 15:27
contrabando

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Four Star - Early 80's St. Thomas

I flew with Wild Man Paul Wikander at Virgin Air for 2 years back in 83 & 84. Four Star was our neighbor.

1) Crime in St. Thomas was terrible 20+ years ago. I can't even imagine what it would be like now. I rescued a pilot being beaten by two local punks at the old airport at 2am one night. Real tough. They hauled ass when they found out the odds were near even. If you ever need help from the Cops...good luck. Yes, Obama for President.

2) Crowding from hordes of tourists on the cheap track was making me wonder why the island didn't sink under their weight. Sometimes 7 cruise ships would tie up or park just offshore...dumping even more tourists that didn't get off the airlines, polluting already polluted waters etc.

3) Surly & crappy attitudes of the locals. I've flown all over the world (now in Sudan) & this is without a doubt the WORST place for surly attitudes from the locals.

4) The infrastructure was falling apart with electricity going off several times a day.

My recommendation: Stay the hell out.

Also, ever try loading 6,000+ pounds of cargo by hand into a DC-3? I have & "it ain't no fun" especially in 95+ degree heat.

Ever flown a DC-3? I have. It flies like a winged pig. One of the most over-rated aircraft in history. A Lockheed Lodestar will fly circles around it & carry almost as much.

Good luck.