PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hereditary Hemochromatosis (Iron Overload)
Old 26th Oct 2008, 11:54
civic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How would you deal with this in the UAE?

Hi all,
I was diagnosed with haemachromatosis over 20 years ago after my uncle was found out (alas too late)to have this condition.The earlier the diagnosis the easier the treatment.I have no symptoms and therefore had I not been diagnosed I would still be none the wiser.Venesection (or phlebotomy as some others call it) is a very straightforward "blood-letting" procedure.Last year I was supposed to go once a month but in fact managed only 8 trips.After an admonition from my consultant due to my ferritin levels being raised it was agreed that 1)I should take it more seriously and 2)I would go twice a month for the next twelve months.My levels have rapidly dropped back to normal after 4 months and so I am reducing back to a monthly visit.I have a CAA class1 medical which was issued with their knowledge of the condition and my AME is kept up to date too.I have been flying commercial jets for the last 10 years.It really is no big deal to get the venesection at the beginning of a block of days off.My personal battle has been with my own complacency-no symptoms so why bother?You have to trust the numbers and deal with the reality,thats all.My greatest concern?I would very much like to fly for a UAE carrier such as EK or EY but I have no idea how to raise the subject of a monthly venesection.Should I keep my trap shut and find a friendly GP out there who can monitor it and venesect without fuss or could I declare it and expect them to cover it with the medical coverage provided.I asked my AME to investigate but my AME expressed a concern that he could end up identifying his location and therefore mine too!ANY advice would be much appreciated as I simply do not know how this condition would be viewed out there.