PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2008, 11:25
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ssr
if you TRUST everyone to do their job, including yourself, you will be dissapointed one day.
- sorry for the delay - been a bit busy.

I agree, I have been and no doubt will be again, and sadly a lot of folk were indeed 'dissapointed' that day. I insist, however, there has to be trust in the system - are you so certain of you and your crew's abilities that you don't think the pax should be checking your fuel loads or approach speeds (or flap settings, come to that) or are you exempt from this - you need to confirm the engineers' actions but the pax just have put up with you? It appears you benefitted from an unusually deep airline systems training regarding the RAT heater which I doubt is universal.

I would still maintain that before this incident there were not many MD drivers who knew the A/G gotchas we have discovered here, and that it is unreasonable to attach blame to them, or to the LAE who 'fixed' the defect if HIS/HER training (including the MEL) also turns out to be inadequate. Indeed I suspect this thread has been invaluable in that respect.

It still looks as if the a/c would have taken off safely if correctly configured despite the rectification actions. Whether or not a crew should be trained/able to recover a stall following mis-configured flaps, I prefer not to comment.