PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Career at 40?
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2008, 11:16
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Mr Hat

Forgive me for being negative but the only reason I am PPRuNing is cos Mrs Leafblower has delivered another cold shoulder

There are good jobs still for blokes with experience - Grade 1's and such. Given the news that airlines on the sub-continent have stood down/given unlimited unpaid leave/whatever over 5000 people this week I suggest that the "Inbound" flight training industry is about to exit the vehicle via the windscreen as the world's economic brakes are pulled on (and reverse gear selected... without clutch)

Super accounts look pretty slim so all the grey nomads won't be off doing their Bungles/Argyle trips...

Share holdings and director bonuses are under scrutiny so corporate charter will go down the ****ter...

Expect overall discretionary expenditure to shrink over the next 12 months and the PPL/Recreational flight training market with it

THe only sunshine I can see for the next 5 years is government expenditure and compliance (ie: OHS, ISO 9001 etc) for major organisations.

The flip side of that is that if you start your training now, Izzys, You will possibly have great experience by the time you are 45 and the next upswing commences. Just be really conscious of the fact that there will be a lot of blood spilt over the next 3-4 years.