PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Thought Police
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2008, 09:16
A Comfy Chair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To start with, I'll make it clear that I am not a fan of the way EP's are taught. I completely agree that creativity and a better system would be great.

I also think that someone who has the ability to present information to the crew in a way that makes them learn for the exam is commendable, and it would be great if this person's skills were harnessed and used to create company training material.

In fact, when it comes down to it, in an Ideal world (which I acknowledge it isn't), study guides shouldn't be necessary, as the EP's exam should already be firm knowledge throughout the year, not just for the exam. We know, however, that the exam doesn't just test that practical knowledge.

HOWEVER, the problem remains. We work for an airline that has certain rules about intellectual property, and about controlled/uncontrolled information. There are risks of dissemination of information to the general public when it is reproduced in a form outside of the approved manuals, especially when the company cannot control the validity of that information. Information Services would not be impressed.

I think if this was a free study guide for all crew, he might have got away with it, and crew would be better off.

Using Qantas copyrighted information, in an uncontrolled document, that he then SELLS, is something the company has every right to stop, and I would think it very remiss of them not to.