PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C150 vs C152
Thread: C150 vs C152
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2008, 08:35
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Yes.

If the engine is operating at full power it makes no difference to the "strain" on the engine whether you "force" the aircraft airborne or whether you "fly it off". All the engine knows is that it is operating at full power.
All the engine knows is that it is operating at full power, and for how long, with poor cooling due to low airspeed. With unpracticed techinque, you can eventually succeed in draging the aircraft into the air, and keeping there because you kept forcing it up below flying speed, and eventually it stayed. I've done it, I'm not proud. Or, using a practiced technique, you can have the aircraft off the water a mile sooner, and speeding up in the air as intended, with the engine being properly cooled. It might still be operating at the strain of full power, but it is much happier being properly cooled. (and a lot less pounding on the airframe as a bonus)

When I have been asked by Transport Canada to evaluate an unproven float installation, ease of getting off the water (due to "deck angle", or choice of propeller) is one thing I'd be looking for. That goes to how long a pilot is likely to operate the engine at full power and below normal flying speed. From a proper step taxi (which would not be sustained at full power), if I can get airborne, I just did a partial power takeoff. If I did not, no harm done, add a bit more power, and try again.

Old Fella, I do appreciate that we might fly using techniques which occasionally differ, and as long as they are safe in each case, I am very happy to think that you are enjoying safe flying, as we all should. Nothing at all wrong with old fashioned and unadventurous, as long as the underlying skills remain sharp.

A small part of the service I perform relative to aviation, is to evaluate a change to an aircraft within my delegated scope, and recommend it for approval, if I find it meets the design requirement. It's a little adventerous sometimes, though I try to keep the adventure to a safe minimum. It has been the case so far, that all of the "adventure" I have experienced while doing such flying has been a failing of underlying maintenance, not the modification.

I'm pleased that you enjoy the photo. I was practicing glassy water landings to keep my skills sharp. As I step taxiied, I looked out, and thought "I want to remember this in my old age", so I shot a few pics. A moment later, things got very smooth. I was flying! I only had 65% power, and had no intention of leaving the water yet!

I salute your enjoying flying in your later years, after an aviation career, I hope that it continues to reward you for years to come!

Pilot DAR