PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester
Thread: Manchester
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2002, 13:23
frazhm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Why has everyone suddenly got a downer on EGCC?? These are tough times for many in aviation and EGCC are finding it as hard as everyone else. . .The airport is still fundamentally the place that was so highly thought of 10-15 years ago, it has not turned into some sort of ogre. Are they a victim of their own success and therefore we can now slag them off!!!. .I do feel that management have been spectacularly dumb of late especially with their fatcat wage rise planned at the same time as attempting cost cutting.. .As far as staff adjustments, although I have not been following developments too closely it does seem to make business sense to match security arrangements with traffic levels. There are times when the baggage handling systems ( a reasonable indicator of passenger throughput) are processing at flat out and complete idle all within the same day!!! So the idea that there needs to be the same levels of security throughout peak and off peak periods maybe economically flawed. As I understand it management accept the need for extremely high levels of security at all times, but it is the passenger security processing capacity that should be modified according to load and therein lies some of the problem. . .. .I feel its legacy of being almost a local authority department has allowed uneconomic business practices to become the norm and now MAPLC are now trying to apply new millenium processes to systems still wedded to the 1970’s.. .But I think overall it is still a good airport and one that puts many others to shame.. .. .(I do detect a certain amount of hypocrisy about symparthies for security staff, I recall threads, certainly in the past 12 months, that derided security staff/arrangements all over the place with EGCC being no exception!!!). .. . . .. .(I will now sit behind a dozen sandbags with a hard hat on to protect myself from the tirade of responses from people who are probably fundamental anti Man U fans. Hate Man U - hate EGCC- hate Manchester the place!! There may be a pattern here??)