PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter down in Saba/St. Maarten, any more info?
Old 26th Oct 2008, 07:49
Furia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WestIndian I wish you luck. Goverment officials should understand that nothing is more important than the healt and safety of their people.

It puzzles me to think they believe a Police helicopter program is more needed than having some kind of hospital or MEDEVAC procedures.

I have flown such kind of inter islands medevac flights and I realized that the politicians get really sensible about it when it is the time you have to fly his daughter or wife or mother. Then they surely do not want to hear about dangerous situations then. And be sure one day or another it will come the time one of then or their relatives would need such services.

The absolute minimum thing you need there is a fully certified autopilot single pilot IFR helicopter and of course twin engine. And of course a pilot with enough experience as single pilot IFR on such type.
Less than that should not even be attempted.
Sell that Police 44 and get a more capable but a "general purpose" helicopter with multiple configuration cabin that can do both jobs.

We are on the 21st Century and if your island is living off tourism as does mine, you do not want tourist to think that if anything happens to them while there in hollydays, they would be sent on a "extreme high risk" mission or simply left at the hotel with an aspirin.
Usually the medical insurances cover part of the cost of such programs.

If you have an airport another solution is using a fix wing aircraft. A king Air or something alike, wake up the airport personel for such sittuations, get some of them reachable by night if such need arises so they can light up the runway and provide meteo info.
There are plenty of solutions, some of them would require more investment than others but all must be safe, legal and should be aimed to saving lives, not loosing them.
I have been working on an HEMS night inter-island helicopter program for some years so if you need some imput about this just PM me and I would be happy to provide you more data.