PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big economic problems in aviation
View Single Post
Old 26th Oct 2008, 00:44
Captain Nomad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe it is too simplistic a view but I always get somewhat suspicous when previously government owned ESSENTIAL services get privatised. Privatisation means that the service has to be, or become, financially viable (read make someone money) otherwise no private investor would be interested. The simple fact is that it is not always possible for ESSENTIAL services, especially in REMOTE AREAS to be a profitable business!

Thank God we still have some Government money being spent to subsidise medical services and even air services and many other services especially in remote areas.

What do we pay taxes for people?!! If the Government can't use our taxes to equitably provide services then why do we bother at all? Take toll roads and the aversion that people rightly have developed to private companies milking their little investment for all that they possibly can for a service that should be provided out of the Government budget. Where does it end? Soon you will be paying the coppers to come out and visit your house after a robbery from some thieving kid who will yell "I know my rights and you can't touch me!" Where does it end?!

Can anyone really honestly say that we are nationally 'better off' with airports being in private hands? What about costs? Is aviation any cheaper these days because of privatisation? It seems to be a slippery road though. Now that it has started one wonders if it will ever end...