PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2008, 14:06
justme69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justme69, don't forget the camera in the airline management's desk...
I'm all for that too. But who watches that camera?

Because the person that is watching the manager's camera, probably needs another one too to be monitored. And somebody to watch the person watching it.

Or perhaps, each adult professional should be reasonably left alone and be held responsable for his own mistakes.

When management/training makes a mistake, they should be held responsable. When a pilot doesn't lower the flaps as instructed, I do not believe that this would be the case (generally, in airlines that teach safety to good standards). Training obviously encouraged him to follow the checklist properly. That he didn't do it it's not due to management (under reasonable circunstances).

A different story is when a complex or caotic situation arises that is indeed due to bad training or bad management.

But a simple one like not following checklists correctly by a rested crew that is not "incredibly pressed" (and even if they are, a pilot needs to know that no matter what, for his own life, he can not stop to try to follow the checklists to the best of his abilities) and has been trained on how to do it properly, I still fail to see how it can be directly related to irresponsable management/training.

Somewhat related, maybe. *Necessarily* directly related, no.

And even if it is directly related, unless the pilots were actually trained and encouraged to not follow checklists (and they complied? Isn't that accomplicement?), that doesn't exempt pilots from the error's responsability.

It merely extends the responsability to include both, the pilot and the management/training.

That's my objection. In a case like this, of a reasonably good airline with reasonably good safety and resonably good training and reasonably good working conditions, a sentence like this can not be said: "I do not blame the pilots, I blame the training/management departments in the airline".

I have no objections with: "I blame the pilots and I also blame the airline", until more information can be had to see to what extend training on correctly following checklists or really bad work conditions were factors.

I think a scenario for this accident where the pilots had no responsability at all for their actions and it was all the fault of other workers (be Boeing engineers, SAS management or Spanair's training subcontractors), is very unlikely.

I have already stated, that besides the pilots, in this accident, in my opinion, there are many other factors and the people that produced them, that SHARE some (small) responsability (maintenance, Spanair's SOPs, CIAIAC, civil aviation authorities, MEL, Boeing, etc). And I have already said that, depending on more information from the CVR to see to what extend they were careless, I do not blame the pilots for what it looks could just have been an "honest" oversight.

All this, of course, assuming the pilots neglected to lower the flaps under the known conditions and the TOWS didn't work due to a recent unnoticed failure.

Last edited by justme69; 25th Oct 2008 at 21:36.