PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2008, 13:47
Day_Dreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTC Hype again !!!
Talk is cheap and there is nothing like free publicity.

DHL Air are over crewed on F/O's at this time with 10 already selected pilots in the holding pool.
All recent joiners must relocate to Leipzig from December at their own expense.
Could you do that on £1000 per month plus flight pay circa £450.

Monarch and Easyjet returning cadets after 6 months, All other airlines facing a downturn in recruitment.
A surplus of experienced pilots on the market, more CTC cadets coming into the holding pool, soon we will need to block off the lake district to hold all the swimmers.

The 100% placement record is also not strictly true as I have spoken to people who have not been placed, or who have been thrown aside during or upon completing training. (CTC said they did not make their internal grades)
This reflects not just on CTC but some of the other establishments as well, they all have to protect their bottom line and reputations.

You may well have a better chance of a job after CTC training but in the present climate I doubt the difference will be very great.
Should you be an integrated or modular student or for that matter experienced the next 12 to 18 months will find the job market getting smaller, terms and conditions reducing and the SSTR route becoming more difficult to fund.

What I am saying here is that whatever route you take it wont be easy to become employed after training and CTC is certainly well connected, but so are the other major training schools.

Review your options carefully, and after taking out the hype and claims make your own decision on where to train.
Sterling (£) down against the Dollar ($) and Euro (€) which will raise the costs of training, thank whatever god you pray to that oil is now $65 per barrel.

The only axe I have to grind with CTC is their placement of cadets at a salary of £1000 for 6 months, with today's costs for training and living how can a newbee exist and pay back their training ?

Good Luck and go for your dream, If you have the motivation you will get there in the end.
Remember that there is more to aviation than the airlines, look to the air taxi, and other general aviation fields for that first job.