PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Goodbye Vietnam Vets - Hello Employment
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2008, 12:07
SASless

Received 525 Likes on 220 Posts
Indeed there are lots of my vintage beginning to drop off the vine finally....but nowhere as many that merely threw in the towel.

I believe the good news is not in the sheer number of Vietnam Veterans retiring but more the positions they are leaving vacant. Those a bit shorter in the tooth will move into those vacancies and create the possibility for young adults to progress.

You wee kiddy's out there will still have to work your way into the industry the same old way but hopefully will have an easier time of it provided your training, experience, work ethic and ambition combine favorably with your judgement and maturity. Breadth of experience is much more important than sheer hours and tickets.....don't get stuck going around a traffic pattern for years to the exclusion of "working" the aircraft in as many different sectors of the industry you can.

It is a profession thus one must obtain the continuing education, training, and tutelage professional advancement requires. Generalists will have far more opportunity than will those with specialized skills only.

I would also hope you young snots will tip your hat to the old dogs as they depart....your pay packet today as a result of their fight for better pay and conditions.

Take what they leave behind them and build upon it.