PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spanair accident at Madrid
View Single Post
Old 25th Oct 2008, 07:11
Bis47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crappy airlines by the tons? Yes

Hello!

Justme69
My problem is with those that think that fogetting to set of the flaps at least 55 times in the USA in the past 7-8 years (voluntarily reported), means automatically that in all cases tons of airlines must have crappy training, bad safety culture and poor supervisory skills,
I'm among those that think that [...]
Yes sir, that is the real world.
Tons of lifetime examples ...
Demonstration?
Let it be given by a sharp occasional observer :
Frankly, I thought the whole checklist system was far below anything needed since the invention of the inkjet/laser printer. The typeface, colors, etc. It can all be done so much better by a 12 yo (I'm exaggerating, of course).

Also, from the checklists I have seen carried out, most of the time it looks like one pilot is simply reading and the other setting/verifying, with the first one taking whatever the second one says for granted while he concentrates mostly in taxing rather than double checking (except for crosschecks, usually).
Now, to be honnest, taxying is not the best time for Challenge and Response check list ... So the necessity to restrict it to very essential items.

In short, there is a real need to improve the useability of check list, as well as to promote a good "tempo" for calling "Check list!".

- subtilities/intricaties of accident prevention
- need for smart people ...

Please, don't take me wrong, I do appreciate "strong" safety devices ... but I hate seeing them used as an argument to dispense with "strong" crews, witch is the modern tendency ...