PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How does one get their command on RPT these days
Old 24th Oct 2008, 21:59
Icarus53

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ways around getting good cmd experience
With respect CW, there are lots of ways to get good comd experience that don't involve aircraft. And lets face it, 500 hours ME Comd is a bare minimum experience level for an RPT Captain. Is it not reasonable to so think that the guy in the RHS (as PF) is going to learn many of the same lessons over that time?

I would have thought it would be a greater concern to see a scenario whereby a pilot with more hours in his log book (albeit mostly flying 182s and light twins) is given comd of a Hi Cap RPT aircraft in preference to someone who has a couple of thousand additional hours RHS time. This is what is happening in some regionals at the moment as low time pilots get to the top of the seniority list but are unable to take command.

Now before you fly off the handle, I don't think they should get command if they don't meet requirements. That said, if you give me a choice between a guy with an ATPL earned with circuit time in a Tomahawk but only six months RPT; and a CPL holder with 2500 hours on type in RPT, then I have to say I would rather the bloke with time on type and experienced in the operation.

If all we worry about is the numbers in the columns, then I am afraid there is no such thing as "good comd experience". Some people can spend 3000 hours in command and still not get it, while others who are yet to set foot in a cockpit are capable of better skill and decision making than you or I.