PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: ASA Staff Shortage
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2008, 21:32
boree3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick,

I`d like to point out a few things if you would be so kind as to pass them on.

1. Air Traffic Controllers have been working extra shifts for years. Some are rostered weeks in advance but many are short notice call outs i.e. a call at 5.00 a.m.to attend work at 6.00 a.m.

2. The number of call outs has been steadily increasing for some time but there has been a marked increase in the last 12 months. Why? The reasons are many but if you take 100 or so supervisors away from part-time live traffic handling and expect the other 750 or so controllers to pick up the slack..... It`s not rocket science is it?

3. The age profile of contollers is not getting any better. if you`ve been shiftworking for 20 or 30 years, as many have, guess what? On your days off, especially if you finished on a night shift, you are not capable of driving to work safely, let alone separate IFR from VFR in class A or whatever we are supposed to do these days.

4. ASA has made no effort to negotiate a new CA. They`ve been stalling for months after lots of rhetoric that "there has to be a better way" Yeah right Greg!

5. The current CA ends on December the 21st. After that day all of our facilitative arrangements, where we agree with management to work outside of our core rostering principles, become null and void. The use of a facilitative agreement has, generally, been a win-win for controllers and management allowing more efficient rosters and more days off.

6. Post the 21st of December when FA`s are out the door then most groups will need to find an extra controller or two to run their core rosters. Where will we find these controllers? We won`t, `cos we don`t have them.

The result of all of the above? On the 22nd of December, just in time for the Christmas rush, there will be many, many holes to be filled on rosters all around the country. This is why ASA is taking Civilair to the IRC atm as who in their right mind wants to work on their days off. Yes, days off, not holidays like most. The bulk of the 750 or so operational controllers will continue to work 24/7 shiftwork over the xmas/newyear whist the general population has a well earned break. Now don`t get me wrong as a shiftworking ATC i expect to work my share of public holidays, weekends etc. but at certain times of the year why shouldn`t i be free to have a drink or two ( bugger me it`s Christmas, make it three!) and enjoy my days off?

Why has it come to this Dick? Most of us who`ve been around a while have seen this sort of thing in previous negotiations. Trouble is this time we have a CEO who says one thing and does almost the complete opposite. We are not after a fight. We just want to be fairly rewarded for what we do.

Come the 22nd don`t blame the controllers or Civilair. Take a long hard look at ASA and thier rhetoric and actions of the last few months.