PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The "Smiling Crocodile" Investigated
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2008, 19:59
Hazbean?Neverwaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh, I remember him quite well. With only previous GA experience (although he was a Grade 1 instructor at the time), he was selected by Flitestar as an A320 training captain, which raised many an eyebrow. He was one of four captains who completed Flitestar's first A320 type rating simulator course conducted by British Airways instructors at the Caledonian facility near Gatwick. This only came out later, but during the course there was much discussion among the BA instructors as to his level of experience. Nevertheless he successfully completed the course.

When Flitestar commenced operations, the line training was done by the same group of BA instructors. During this phase, JO's true experience and ability was finally exposed and to cut a long story short, BA refused to sign him out, not only as a training captain but also as a line captain. Flitestar's management initially opposed this but there was little they could do and he was finally offered a F/O's position. (The other remaining training captain suffered exactly the same fate, but that's another story.)

I left Flitestar about 3 months before they closed shop and at that point he was still not a captain, but I can't say what happened between me leaving and them folding. However, JO did complete the type rating course as a captain and also did some line training from the left hand seat, so he will most likely have logged some A320 hours as command time.

Over that period, he wasn't really considered a bad 'un, just someone who had been totally out of his depth at that time. He subsequently served his time as an F/O without complaint. Sadly it appears that since then he has been on a slippery slope with his foot planted firmly on the accelerator and the hooter blowing ... and he seems to have taken the wrong turning when he got to the crossroad.