PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA part M......... Q & A
View Single Post
Old 24th Oct 2008, 16:27
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very interesting stuff, Vee-Tail.

Socata only recently opened up their maintenance manuals. One can find them now online on the user group socata.org but these are English ones. I cannot see anything on the EADS website though. Until recently, Socata published these only through the $1000/year ATP subscription. I also have one of the ATP CDs, with the whole lot there. What form should this look like, to comply?

Anyway.........

Given the vast majority of GA is under 2700kg and used only privately, I wonder if this will result in organisations setting up specifically to cater for the DIY market?

What about individual LAEs? Can a "LAE" work out of the back of a van? For a typical GA plane you need very few tools. Some special tools for e.g. the Lyco vac pump bolts (crow's feet spanners) and an owner could buy any others easily. Jacks for gear checks, etc. The freelance LAE could also maintain the documentation.

Most owners who hangar are in any case banned from maintenance inside their hangar, so unless the hangar is owned by their maintenance company (not politically advisable because they have you over a barrel) they are free to go anywhere. My 50hr checks are done outdoors for this reason.

The cost savings would be very big and I am sure somebody will see the opportunity - unless freelance operators get excluded using some other means.