PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Military ATC to Civil Licence Conversion (Split)
Old 24th Oct 2008, 15:51
waldorf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having myself experienced the grass on both sides of the fence I wonder what all the fuss is about? Personally, I found the conversion process relatively painless (apart from the cost that is!) and viewed the whole process as being akin to the act of learning to ride a very different type of bike; or perhaps like learning to ride the same bike but in a different way? I self-funded my way through the APS while undergoing Resettlement prior to leaving the RAF (now that takes some planning) and, for a short time, held the RAF Certificate of Competency and the Yellow Peril concurrently. Moreover, I had to continue mil controlling duties while undergoing the APS course and after having completed the training, prior to finally leaving the MOB and plying my trade elsewhere. I didn't find the act of swapping back and forth between controlling domains (phraseology/QFE/QNH/Wake/Departure Seps etc) as difficult as I envisaged it might. IMHO, the differences which exist between military and civilian ATC referred to throughout this thread are plain to see but lets not pretend that it would be in anyway difficult to effect mil to civil or civil to mil conversion. Skills are skills, no matter how you use em!